Islamic Finance Masters/International Study Tour
From DBS Applicant Gateway
Students from the MSc Finance, MSc Islamic Finance and MSc Economics programmes have the opportunity to apply for a place on the International Study Experience to Zurich and to Frankfurt.
Dates The dates and cost of the trip will be confirmed as soon as possible after the start of term in October 2018.
The visit has limited places, and there will be an anonymous competitive selection process if demand exceeds the number of places.
What Is Included • Company Visits
• Welcome Dinner
• Bed & Breakfast (Basic Shared Accommodation - Youth Hostel)
• Durham University Standard Travel Insurance
What Is Not Included • Arranging and paying for travel to/from Zurich/Frankfurt
• Ensuring you comply with visa/travel permit requirements
• Applying for a visa 2 months or more in advance of travel, if you need one. Please note that those students that do need a visa are now normally required to attend an appointment at the relevant Consulate or Embassy office. Any costs / expenses associated with applying for a visa and travelling to attend the appointment are NOT included.
• Purchasing additional travel insurance if required (e.g. dangerous sports, like skiing etc.)
• Meals not stated in the itinerary
• Incidental expenses
We would recommend that students budget a minimum of £350-£400 (approximately) to cover the expenses whilst in Zurich/Frankfurt.
A copy of the 2018 Itinerary for Zurich can be found here; (this is subject to change for 2018)
A copy of the 2018 Itinerary for Frankfurt can be found here: (this is subject to change for 2018)
Application Process Applications Open at the beginning of October 2018 and students are informed of the outcome of their application by the end of October 2018.
Selection will be based on a personal statement of no more than 500 words answering the following questions:
1) What is it about the tour that interests you?
2) What do you hope to learn on the tour that links to your Programme?
3) How will you contribute to make this a positive and productive experience for the group?
Testimonials “I just want to say thank you very much. It was my privilege to take part in the Zurich Trip with you. It was amazing moment and I am sure I will never forget it. Zurich was very impressive and I really want to go back there. Thank you for helping and accompanying us.”
"It was a real eye opening tour and a good chance to network, also having group dinner help make new friends. The event was well organised and students should be encouraged to experience it."
“The Zurich Study Tour was fascinating and a very great experience. We developed…. rich interaction among people, valuable information from practitioners and acquired knowledge essential to pave my future career. I benefited from an internationally integrated approach of business reality. Overall, this was much appreciated by the students and became a significant basis for working, particularly to face global business”
"The Zurich Study Tour was fascinating and a very great experience. At first, I thought it would be just company visits, but I was pleasantly surprised with rich interaction among people, valuable information from practitioners and acquired knowledge essential to pave my future career. I benefited from an internationally integrated approach of business reality. Overall, this was much appreciated by the students and became a significant basis for working, particularly to face global business."
Pauline Dowson-Pounder, Programme Coordinator (International)
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org