Full-Time Programmes/Private Rented Accommodation

From DBS Applicant Gateway

Jump to: navigation, search

  Catered College.jpg   Socialising.jpg   Self-Catered College.jpg


Private Rented Accommodation - Durham

If living in College accommodation does not appeal to you there are a number of privately owned houses in and around Durham that are available to rent. Some postgraduate students prefer to live in private rented accommodation because of the freedom and privacy this allows them. Durham has a relatively large private rented accommodation sector and you should have no problems in finding somewhere to suit your needs and your budget. It is worth bearing in mind that properties just a few miles out of the city are cheaper and easily accessible by public transport. The Accommodation Office has tips for househunting on their webpages at https://www.dur.ac.uk/accommodation.office/.


Please contact the Accommodation Office for guidance at accommodation.office@durham.ac.uk.

The Durham Students' Union Advice and Help Service is also available for advice.  They can be contacted on dsu.advice@durham.ac.uk.

Estate Agents and Letting Agents - Durham

There are a number of estate & letting agents in Durham that deal with Student Accommodation and you can contact these directly. Some are listed below:

Bill Free Homes http://www.billfreehomes.com/
Bridgfords www.bridgfords.co.uk
Evenmore Properties http://www.evenmoreproperties.co.uk/renting.php
Harringtons http://www.harringtonsdurham.com/
Hope Estates http://www.hopeestates.com/
JW Wood http://jww.co.uk/rent
Rise Lettings http://www.riseestateagents.co.uk/
Robinsons www.robinsonsestateagents.co.uk
Stuart Edwards http://www.stuartedwards.com/Rent.htm
StuRents https://sturents.com/

Please remember that letting agents charge an administration fee and that you will have to pay a security deposit as well as the rent. However, this security deposit will be returned at the end of your stay, so long as there is no damage. Utility bills (for example, gas, water, electricity) are not normally included in the rent.

Viewing your Property

As we cannot inspect any properties for you we strongly advise that you travel to Durham before commencement of your studies to secure accommodation.

Temporary Accommodation - Durham

You will need temporary accommodation for the time you spend house hunting, and there are a number of Hotels, Guesthouses and College Accommodation available in Durham. You are advised to contact Event Durham on +44 (0) 191 334 2887 or event@durham.ac.uk who can help you find suitable temporary college accommodation. 
We do not recommend that you bring your family with you when you begin to house hunt. However, if you have no alternative and require a family room, we suggest that renting a self-catering house may be the best value for you, as you can usually get a week’s worth of accommodation for the same price as two/three nights in hotels and guesthouses. Please refer to www.thisisdurham.com which gives details about accommodation available.
If you prefer to stay in a hotel, there is a Travelodge located in Gilesgate, Durham, with 48 family rooms. These are reasonably priced at £50 - £70 per room per night. Please note, this chain of hotels do not include breakfast or meals in this price, and eating facilities are often adjacent to, rather than in, the hotel. To enquire about accommodation, or to book a room, contact www.travelodge.co.uk, or phone 0871 984 6136.
We advise you to book your temporary accommodation early to avoid disappointment.

Living Costs

Your living costs will depend on your personal circumstances, but the majority of students will need to pay for accommodation and related costs, food and other household shopping (toiletries, washing powder etc.), utilities, essential clothing, travel, study-related costs and leisure. You should work out how much you will need to spend on your living costs before you start your course. Many postgraduate students live in College accommodation and you can find information on the cost of living in College accommodation at http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/fees/. For further information on managing your money visit http://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/.

It is very important that you have sufficient funds in place to meet your tuition fees and living costs before you start your course. The University has a small amount of hardship funding available to help students who started their studies with a sound financial plan which was compromised by circumstances beyond their control, but it is unable to help students who started their studies with insufficient funds in place to meet their tuition fees and living costs.

Most full-time students do not have to pay council tax. However, if your partner is a UK citizen and is eligible to work in the UK, then you may have to pay Council Tax. Further details can be found at https://www.dur.ac.uk/student.registry/

Personal tools