Full-Time Programmes/Pre-Sessional English Language
From DBS Applicant Gateway
These pre-sessional programmes are open to all students wishing to improve their academic literacy in preparation for a degree programme at Durham. This will normally be prospective students who hold a conditional offer of a place to study at Durham. Given the focus on foundational research and study skills, many students with unconditional offers also find these programmes an excellent preparation for the academic road ahead.
Our four-week Preparatory Academic Research Skills & English (PARSE) programme will be of particular interest to students who have IELTS 6.5 or higher, but have little or no experience of studying at a UK university. The programme prepares students for coping with a degree course at Durham by integrating library-based research skills, critical approaches to reading and thesis-based academic essay writing.
- awareness of UK (and Durham) university academic culture, expectations and conventions
- the academic thinking process & argument development
- research and study skills
- formal, academic English style and structure
- writing extended essays in your own academic subject area
- listening to lectures and note-taking
- seminar speaking skills
- 4, 8 or 12 weeks during the summer
- approx. 20 hours of class time per week
- 12 week EAP programme: Monday 2 July - Friday 21 September
- 8 week EAP programme: Monday 30 July - Friday 21 September
- 4 week 'PARSE' programme: Tuesday 28 August - Friday 21 September
- 12 weeks: 5400 GBP
- 8 weeks: 3600 GBP
- 4 weeks: 1800 GBP
- condition stated in offer letter from Durham
- Certificate of Attendance
How to Apply
- Apply using the online application form
- There are no official application deadlines. However, if you are an overseas student requiring a UK visa, please remember this may take some time to organise. As a general guide, you should aim to apply for a Pre-Sessional programme no later than 4 weeks before the course is due to start.
Durham Academic Literacy Induction (DALI)
Please click here for information.