Full-Time Programmes/Healthcare

From DBS Applicant Gateway

Jump to: navigation, search



Healthcare costs

International students registered on a course of more than six months and all students from the EU are entitled to medical care under the National Health Service (NHS). You should register with a local medical practice as soon as possible on arriving at Durham. International Students who require a Student Visa may need to pay a charge for the NHS with their visa application.

You will need to pay for any medicine prescribed by the doctor. You will also need to pay for eye examinations, spectacles if required, and dental treatment.

Seeking medical assistance

If you become ill, need medical advice or treatment, you should first contact your doctor (sometimes known as a General Practitioner or GP), through the medical practice. The practice will give you details of how to book an appointment. Some medical practices also arrange 'drop-in' sessions where no appointment is necessary.

If it is not possible for you to see your doctor you can telephone the NHS free on 111 to discuss your symptoms with NHS nursing staff and to establish if you need further medical attention.

If you require emergency medical assistance please dial 999 and ask for an ambulance. Please do not dial 999 in non-emergency situations but seek the advice of your doctor at the medical practice.

How to Register with a Doctor

Durham City Campus

Most students in Durham register with the University Health Centre which is part of the Claypath and University Medical Group. The University Health Centre is located beside the Magistrates Court, opposite the cricket pitch on Green Lane. You will be given an opportunity to register with the University Medical Centre as part of your induction programme.

The surgery is open:

Please see http://www.durhamstudenthealth.co.uk/ for further information.

Further Information

Further information on healthcare and GP services can be found at https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/life/welfare/health/.

Local Chemists

If your doctor decides that you need medicine, you will be given a prescription, which you will need to take to a chemist in order to get your medicine.

If you are looking for non-prescription medications such as medicine for hay-fever, colds or pain, you can also purchase these from a chemist or local pharmacy.

A list of local chemists can be obtained from the NHS website: http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/ServiceSearch.aspx?ServiceType=Pharmacy

Personal tools